Is it possible I might be overworking myself despite being not very hardworking?

This is some bs topic I whipped up yesterday in a frenzy to write a lot that wasn't very meaty.

But here's the situation: it's fun to joke as an engineer that I don't get much done or I'm lazy and I'm not particularly hardworking. In recent days, in contrary to that, there have been evenings where I have had to check the mail and run deployments, lose my sleep over something not working, and generally keep work matters in the back of my mind even outside the hours I'm paid for. Which is to say, it's becoming clear that they're paying me to think and worry about their technology stack and not do the drudge work.

So sometimes it comes as a surprise to friends when I'm spending weird hours fixing work issues, because I'm quite casual about the work situation where in reality it's really one small thing or other that pops up and needs looking at. It's not hard work per se, but just needs time and effort. Which is what I'm here for, at your service!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.