Pho Le: A very okay Vietnamese experience in Boise

This was the restaurant APD, AY and I went to get lunch in Boise.

Truth be told I didn't want to eat, and was definitely not in the mood for some Pho on the very hot summer day in Boise, but APD seemed really excited so I couldn't resist. Not after she insisted we could go to a different place after we'd sat down. That would be disrespectful of her choice, so I went along. So it is perhaps not a review of the place fully as it is of the circumstances surrounding this, what I presume to be a very fine, establishment.

It's a Vietnamese restaurant in Boise. Not terribly expensive. Small menu. Large, renovated, good ambiance. Quick service, due to the limited options of the menu. I got the veggie Pho, which is really not a good standard to measure a vietnamese restaurant by. But here we are anyway.

Didn't like the veggies, they were cut weirdly and crinkled.  Didn't think there was much flavor to the broth. The aromatics weren't added to enhance the food, they seemed to be following a recipe the roots of which had long been forgotten and the corianter leaves seemed ritualistic more than functional. They didn't give me enough lemon. There was no specific taste flavor or smell I could identify distinctly. I dumped a serious amount of the two sauces on the table and was still unable to enhance the experience noticeably. 

In the end, I ate less than half a medium-sized bowl. The vermicelli noodles were mostly untouched. I needn't have eaten this, and having imbibed the meal didn't satisfy me physically or emotionally. It's unclear who is to blame for that, or if that even needs an assignment but here we are.

It's a very okay experience. Go try it or whatever. It should be good, on paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.